Monday, August 13, 2007

"Eclipse"

I just finished "Eclipse" today (voraciously devouring it in the past 24 hours) after waiting several months for it to be published. This is the third in a series of books by Stephenie Meyer about the love between vampire Edward and mortal Bella. Meyer said that her first book ("Twilight") was about finding true love, her second ("New Moon") was about losing true love, and this book is about choosing true love.

I truly enjoyed this book--couldn't put it down--but I was a little disappointed in the plot development. Edward and Bella have found and nearly lost each other. Reunited, they await graduation and soon after, the possible turning of Bella into a vampire. Of course there is conflict, and a series of murders need to be solved first before anything can happen. More importantly, Bella must deal with her feelings for both Edward and Jacob.

The good in the book:
How can a story about werewolves and vampires seem so real?
More character development for Rosalie and Jasper.
More back story on the wolves and their history.
Bella begins to see true ramifications of becoming a vampire
How do you choose between gorgeous, considerate Edward and happy, fun Jacob?! Their rivalry was great and humorous.

The bad in the book:
When did Bella become so whiny and indecisive? Get some backbone!
I could see the "Victoria thing" coming a mile away--a very predictable ending.
Not much plot development. Nothing really changed.

Despite my complaints, I really did enjoy this book! Bella became weaker, to the point where I barely even liked her anymore, but I have high hopes for the next installment. Meyer has promised that the next book, "Breaking Dawn," will resolve the Edward and Bella's story--we just have to wait for another year. I love Edward, Bella, and Jacob enough that I know it will be worth it!

3 comments:

Emily said...

We were talking about this book last night at our ward's book club.. I guess it is becoming super popular.

Kim said...

You can probably tell, but I have really enjoyed the series, as has Erin!

Bawden Bunch said...

This series is fabulous and Emily is now reading it and on New Moon! Who would have thought that I'd ever recommend a book about vampires or werewolves for that matter!