Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Harry Potter...Again

(Warning: spoilers ahead!)

I just finished reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows for the second time--this time out loud to my youngest daughter--and I must say (again) that J.K. Rowling did a fantastic job in bringing this series to a close. I can't help but think that she could have just skated through this book, writing a predictable conclusion without too many twists, just tying up some of the loose ends, and the book would have sold just as many copies. Instead she wrote a new story (the deathly hallows) and brought the previous stories to a very satisfying end.

The last hundred pages or so of this story, once Harry reaches Hogwarts and the battle begins, are masterful. She draws upon aspects of her previous books to help bring the entire series a complete ending. My favorite scene, by far, is when Harry walks through the forest to face Voldemort for what he thinks will be the last time, and he is accompanied by his parents, Sirius, and Lupin. I cried as I read this scene out loud, and my children thought I was funny. I realized that they don't understand what it is like to love someone so much that you are willing to sacrifice your life for them. I later read that this is also Rowling's favorite scene in any of her books. Thanks again to Rowling for such an incredible book.

No comments: