Tuesday, March 30, 2010

"The Mortal Instruments"

I've spent the past week reading the first two books of the Young Adult "The Mortal Instruments" trilogy by Cassandra Clare. A teenage friend and an adult friend had both read and recommended them. The covers of the books describe them as a cross between "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Harry Potter," which is pretty accurate with an emphasis on "Buffy."

When Clary Fray witnesses some tattoo-covered teens murder another teen at a club, she can't tell anyone about it because the victim turns to dust before her eyes. She discovers that these teens are "Shadowhunters"--human hunters who protect the world from demons. She should not be able to see them, but that is explained when she discovers that her mother is a Shadowhunter in hiding from a rogue Shadowhunter element.

Parts of the book are quite exciting, parts are repellant, and parts are cliche. The usual teenage angst is thrown in, and I was not quite sure how much I cared about the characters. However, when I finished the first book, I went to the library the next day because I really wanted to read the second book. I liked the second book better, and now I'm left needing to go to the library again to find the third book! (The author is currently working on a new book, which will be a prequel to the series.)

This is not great literature--it's not written as well as some other supernatural books I have read--but it is an interesting adventure. I'll let you know after the third book whether or not it was worth it.

1 comment:

simply brookes: said...

Kim, I love your blog. Such an inspiration for my own blog.

I am assuming your listed "favorites" would categorize as your top reads?

You know you are my guru, don't you?

Hail hail Kim.

Did hit the library today and tried to get the sequel to Hunger Games...fat chance. Long list of holds. I'm at the bottom.

Miss ya.