Monday, May 3, 2010

"The Dakota Cipher"


"The Dakota Cipher" by William Dietrich was a random pick at the library because the description was interesting. When I began the book, I was disappointed to discover that it was third in a series of books and I had not read the first two. I went ahead and read it, and I was glad that I did!
Ethan Gage is a self-described "treasure hunter," a loveable womanizer and gambler with a heart of gold. After adventures in Egypt, Italy, and France during the turn of the 19th century, he is led back home to America on a mission for Napoleon Bonaparte. He is under orders from Bonaparte and Thomas Jefferson to explore the Louisiana Territory. This is merely an excuse for him to search for the ancient treasure of Thor's Hammer, supposedly buried in America by Viking explorers during the 1300's. Ethan sets out with his Norwegian companion Magnus to accomplish all of this and to still have a great time!
The plot of the book was a little outrageous, but I put up with it to be in the company of Ethan Gage. He is a combination of Indiana Jones and Owen Wilson's character in Shanghai Noon. He can't help but pursue the ladies, but when it comes down to it, he'll always try to do the right thing. I enjoyed this book enough to go back and read the first two, but they won't be at the top of my list. This book was a fun distraction, and I always love historical fiction!

No comments: