Sunday, March 9, 2008

FEBRUARY BOOKS

Last Look by Mariah Stewart (2007) -- FBI suspense; first in a series of three FBI thrillers. New body found of a girl supposedly killed in a case years ago. A good, intriguing story.

Run by Ann Patchett (2007) -- Realistic fiction; A beautifully written story about relationships, artistically dealing with issues of class, race, politics, and religion. It has almost a mystical quality.

Lover Eternal by J.R. Ward (2006) -- (first book I've read by this author) Supernatural vampire thriller, Black Dagger Brotherhood Book 2; I decided to try another vampire book and ended up in a crazy erotic world with vampires named "Rhage," "Zsadist," and "Vishious." I was fascinated but don't know if I'll go there again!

Third Degree by Greg Iles (2007) -- Contemporary fiction; taking place over 24 hours, a husband is tipped off about his wife's infidelity, is pursued by the IRS for fraud in his medical practice, and takes his family hostage with a gun. Tense book but too formalistic.

The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (1995) -- Young adult fantasy, Dark Materials Book 1; this books seems much too heavy for the 9-12 year old audience it is aimed at. I enjoyed the complicated and interesting plot but did not care for any of the characters at all.

The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman -- Young Adult fantasy, Dark Materials Book 2; again, the book is well written, but creepy! Too much death and despair--I'll skip the 3rd book.

Deep Waters by Jayne Ann Krentz (1996) -- Romantic suspense; great hero and heroine--blah book.

Last Words by Mariah Stewart (2007) -- FBI Suspense; second in a series of 3. A little too graphic this time--not as good as last book.

Sizzle and Burn by Jayne Ann Krentz (2008) -- (my first book published in 2008!) Paranormal romantic suspense; I love the paranormal twist of the Arcane Society--enjoyed this very much.

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (2001) -- Humorous Southern vampire suspense; 1st book in the Sookie Stackhouse series. If I had read this one first, I might not have tried the rest of the series! Okay, but not great.

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian by Sherman Alexie (2007) -- Young Adult realistic fiction; I read this book because it was on the 2008 YALSA list of Top 10 Best Books for Young Adults, and I thought I might enjoy it and recommend it to my daughter. It is both a humorous and serious look at a 14-year-old boy living on an Indian reservation and attending a white high school in the neighboring town. It was fascinating, and I enjoyed it. (But I won't recommend it to my 14-year-old daughter because I don't really want her knowing what 14-year-old boys really think about!)

No comments: