Monday, March 10, 2008

The Outsiders

I was going through some old books in the top of my daughter's closet when I came across a copy of The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. Although it was written in 1967 (before I was born), this was one of the books to read when I was in high school because of the popular movie that came out in 1983. I saw the movie and owned the book, but I couldn't remember ever reading it, so I picked up yesterday and started it.

Wow, what an awesome book! I couldn't put it down. The story of the greasers versus the socs feels like a typical West Side Story or Romeo and Juliet, but the true story of the "haves" and the "have-nots" is timeless. I love the way Hinton helps you to know and truly understand the feelings and motivations of each character through dialogue and description.

Susie Hinton wrote this book at age 17 because she couldn't find any literature that she felt accurately depicted teenagers outside the narrow world of the high school prom. All four of her novels portray kids just trying to survive in a rough and unfair world. If you haven't read this in awhile (or ever), I recommend giving it a try!

By the way, what an amazing '80s movie cast: C. Thomas Howell, Matt Dillon, Ralph Macchio, Patrick Swayze, Rob Lowe, Diane Lane, Leif Garrett, Emilio Estevez, and some unknown guy named Tom Cruise. I think I need to find this movie and watch it again!

1 comment:

simply brookes: said...

Kim,
My daughter's sixth grade teacher had the whole class read this (and was careful not to let them go ahead). She loved it and couldn't wait to find out what happened next. He followed the book with an unofficial showing of the movie at a students house due to its rating. A hit with all. I thought about suggesting it to book club as one of our summer reads and found it on your blog.