Wednesday, February 10, 2010

"The Lightning Thief"



"So, Mom, what do you think?" I swear that every time I turned around the past two days, Brian was asking me that question. Brian has read (and reread)the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series of books in the past couple of years and has loved them. He will spout random facts about Greek mythology at strange times and ask, "Who do you think is stronger, Poseidon or Zeus?" When he learned about a year ago that a film version of The Lightning Thief was being made, he was ready to buy tickets then and there. When I realized that the film was being released this weekend, I thought I had better read the book, so I could find out what all the excitement was about.
The Lightning Thief is Book One in the Percy Jackson and the Olympian series of six books and is leveled for kids ages 9 to 12. Percy is a troubled kid who struggles with dyslexia & ADHD and has been kicked out of numerous boarding schools. In trying to come to terms with why he is the way he is, he discovers that he is the son of Poseidon and that the Greek gods are alive and well in America. As demi-god, Percy is sent on a quest to recover Zeus' property and to assist a father he's never met.

This book is not perfect, but I can't help but love Percy's "voice" as he narrates the story. The writing is so similar to my son's writing--teenager with attitude! The Lightning Thief is an action-packed adventure, but it gets episodic at times--you're just waiting for the next challenge. Percy has some depth as he tries to figure out his relationships with all the new people in his life. The writing is average, but it works for a children's book. Much to my son's relief, I really enjoyed the book. Already he has asked me three times, "Hey, Mom, are you ready for Book 2?"

Check out the trailer for the movie: http://www.percyjacksonthemovie.com/

No comments: